Monday, March 24, 2014

Guest Post: Ashley from Closed the Cover brings us "Book Characters That Deserve a Spin-Off"

Hi Library Educated readers!  I’m Ashley and I run the book blog and literary promotions website Closed the Cover; It is so awesome of Wesley to invite me to guest post on her blog.  I met Wesley a month or two ago and I have to say that SHE. IS. AWESOME.  Seriously, she’s a super nice blogger and I’m excited about the opportunity to guest post to her readers.  I hope you enjoy my post below and please stop by Closed the Cover for a visit and to review more of my articles and reviews.   

Book Characters That Deserve a Spin-Off

Television shows have had the formula down for years - create a great concept, run it for as long as possible, select a popular character, repeat.  It has worked repeatedly and it doesn’t show any signs of slowing down.  In fact, both Breaking Bad and How I Met Your Mother have announced the plans for spinoffs!  I mean, just look at this list of spinoffs and some people will even claim that the spinoff was better than the original show:

1. The Simpsons (spinoff of The Tracey Ullman Show)
2. The Facts of Life (spinoff of Diff’rent Strokes)
3. Frasier (spinoff of Cheers)
4. A Different World (spinoff of The Cosby Show)
5. Saved by the Bell (spinoff of Good Morning, Miss Bliss)
6. Private Practice (spinoff of Grey’s Anatomy)
7. Pinky and the Brain (spinoff of Animaniacs)

 There are hundreds of spinoff shows so the list could go on for a very, very long time but the point has been made.  Authors have picked up on the trend of prequels, sequels and trilogies yet there are so many spinoff possibilities that have not been explored.  I have included a list of three book characters that I wish would get their own (spinoff) book.  They deserve it!

1. Ashley Wilkes from Gone with the Wind – this man, the great love of Scarlett O’Hara, was pursued by Scarlett, betrothed to his cousin Melanie, sent away to fight in the Civil War (while his wife was pregnant with their first child), injured, returned home only to find Scarlett betrothed/engaged/married to another man yet still pursuing her love for him.  If this man doesn’t deserve his own novel I don’t know who does!

2. Boo Radley from To Kill a Mockingbird – Boo was a totally misunderstood character.  When we apply that adage “Don’t judge a book by its cover” to people I immediately think of Boo.  I would love a book solely about him - his life, his story.

3. Inigo Montoya from The Princess Bride – Admit it!  Everyone knows his famous line, “My name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father.  Prepare to die.”  Doesn’t everyone want to know more about Inigo Montoya’s father?  Don’t you want to know about that relationship, get to know a young Inigo and follow his quests?  I know I do.  Give him a book already!


Let’s hear it!   I know you have characters to add to the list.  Who are they?  






Thanks so much Ashley! If anyone wants to get a Kickstarter going to the Inigo Montoya spinoff I will give you cash money!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Wesley! BTW...I'm totally in on that Inigo Montoya kickstarter idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your post and the spin off idea of Inigo Montoya from Princess Bride...so adored that movie when I was a kid and still do!

      Delete
  2. Great post! I never really thought about spin offs. I've read spin offs. But I've never thought about who I would like to read about. Even now, I'm not sure but I love the idea. Thanks for the thought-provoking post. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I'd love to talk books with you!