Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A-Z Bookish Questions




A-Z of Bookish Question


The awesome and delightful Jamie posted her answers to these questions and I was like, that looks like fun, I'm going to steal it. So I did.
Author you've read the most books from: I have to think it's Ray Bradbury,CS Lewis and Neil Gaiman. So there's quite a threesome.
Best sequel ever: Does "Rose Under Fire" count as a sequel? If it does, definitely that one.
Currently reading: At time of writing: "The Pilgrim's Regress" by CS Lewis and "Sophie Scholl and the White Rose" by Annette Dumbach.
Drink of choice while reading: I don't really drink while I'm reading, I guess.
E-reader or physical book: Almost always a physical book. I appreciate what an e-reader brings to the table and sometimes it's just convenient but I will almost always take a tree book.
Fictional character you probably would have dated in high school: Not the guy from Catcher in the Rye.
Glad you gave this book a chance: "The String Diaries". Holy crap. That book was awesome. It sounded a little confusing but I was like whatever I'll try it. It was such a great read and I chatted with the author on Twitter some.
Hidden gem book: "Bone Church" by Victoria Dougherty. It was on a HFVB tour and I got contacted to review it and I'm so glad I did. Great setting, wonderful characters. Worth the read for suuuuure. Highly recommended.
Irritated by: Instalove. You have a whole book to develop a relationship between people, why do things need to be instant? It makes it feel not real. Or books that are not really about a love triangle but people make it so, a la Hunger Games.
Just finished: "A Year in the Merde". About a man living in Paris and his struggles to get stuff done and not get ripped off. Review forthcoming.

Kind of books you won’t read: Ridiculous bodice ripper romance novels. Though I jokingly started writing one in high school just to show how easy it would be to write one. Spoiler alert: not hard at all. (Phrasing.)
Longest book you’ve read: I honestly don't remember. Though with all of the talk about Outlander I was like oh I should read that and then it's like 800 pages. Not happening. At least not this year. Or anytime while I'm running the blog.
Major book hangover because of: The Daughters of Smoke and Bone trilogy. I gobbled up all three in like a week and a half and I want mooooooore.I was surprised by how much I loved that one.
Number of bookcases you own: Only 1! Being a big library user I'm not overwhelmed by books.
One book you read multiple times: "Mere Christianity" by CS Lewis. Something new every time I read it.
Preferred place to read: One of the recliners. Or really any chair with fluffy arms that I can toss my legs over without them losing feeling and then giving me tingly toes so I fall down when I have to get up for something.
Quote you like from a book you read: "Obedience isn't a lack of fear, it's just doing it scared". Jen Hatmaker's "7".
Reading regret: My only reading regret is that I can't just read for 10 hours everyday, that I must be a productive member of society,and the spouse who provides health insurance.
Series you started and need to finish: The Monument 14 series. If I'm completely honest, I found the writing a little subpar and the plot kind of meh but I read the first two so I need to finish it off.
Three of your all time favorite books: Really? Really? Fine. "Gargoyle" by Andrew Davidson, "Something Wicked This Way Comes" by Ray Bradbury, "Mere Christianity" by CS Lewis
Unapologetic fangirl for: Ray Bradbury. That freak flag flies with no shame.He's the man. 
Very excited for this release more than all the others: Hmmmm, all the books I was really gunning for this year have already came out. I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting. How about the Giver movie, that kind of counts, yes?
Worst bookish habit: Being a little bit psychotic about pacing my books that I order from the library so that I'm never without a book when I need it. Like it stresses me out like a crazy person sometimes.
X marks the spot: I have a set of free Frontier Airlines that have smiling animals on them, and also a set of bookmarks that were a birthday present that I like. I even left one in a library book and the librarians knew it was mine and made sure I got it back. Love those librarians.
Your latest book purchase: "World of Trouble" by Ben Winters, which I talked about in my author signing post here. I'm not a big book buyer so this was kind of a rarity.
Zzzz snatcher book: If a book is really boring me I just set it free.

6 comments:

  1. "Fictional character you probably would have dated in high school: Not the guy from Catcher in the Rye."

    I lol'd. Even though Holden is my literary best friend, he'd never be my literary boyfriend. Am I the only bookworm in the world to have never thought to myself, "If only X were real....~wistful sigh~"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh girlfriend you are not the only one. Book boyfriends are the best boyfriends!

      Delete
  2. Yes!! So glad you posted this! I love your phrase "tree books." I might need to steal that. And I agree 100% about instalove (and the Hunger Games triangle nonsense!). This had me cracking up, like your regret! The struggle is real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally I think reading 10 hours a day would make me a productive member of society, but one must have money for books (or gas to get to the library) so one must work. Le sigh!

      Delete
  3. Ahh I'm so scared for the Giver movie! That was one of my absolute favorite books in like 4th grade and was my first introduction into the who fantasy world/sci fi(ish) genre. I understand it's been about 18 years since I've read that book, but the previews are making me VERY concerned. I don't remember anything in the previews actually happening, and every I do remember happening is no where to be found. Also, I just saw a preview that spun it as another post-apocolyptic love story. I was like nooooooo!!! That girl is only in the story for a little bit! And the main point was that her hair was red! So I'm absolutely terrified to see this movie and have my childhood squashed. You'll have to tell me how it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im scared to watch it too, especially because the reviews that have been trickling in are not particularly good. I hope it's from people who just don't "get it". And right, Fiona's basic purpose is for him to be like holy crap, red hair! and "the stirrings".

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment. I'd love to talk books with you!