Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Armchair BEA - Introduction Day!

Earlier this week I should have told you that I would be participating in Armchair BEA. Which is a week full of bookish goodness that mirrors BEA going on in Chicago. Lots of extra posts this week!

Wednesday, May 11, 2016:  Introductions & Diversity in Books
On this day, introduce yourself! A specific list of introduction questions will be posted much closer to the conference. 

What is the name you prefer to use? Just Wesley is fine!


How long have you been a book blogger? A little more than 2 years. Not very long compared to some!

Have you participated in ABEA before? I have! It's always been a good time, though if I'm honest I'm a little peeved at myself that I didn't get my act together to go to BEA. This year with it being in Chicago it is only 2 hours from my house and it just snuck up on me and I didn't get my act together to go. Maybe that just means I will have to go to New York one year, or hopefully they bring it back to the Midwest!

 Do you have a favorite book? If you cannot choose a favorite book of all time, pick your favorite book today - just this second. Remember that favorites are allowed to change if something affects you deeply enough. This is obviously an impossible question. So I'll take the "just this second" route. With Jamie's Inklings Week going on right now it really has me mentally revisiting all of my favorite CS Lewis books. Mere Christianity and Screwtape Letters will always be my top 2! With the 3rd probably being....The Great Divorce.

How do you arrange your bookshelves? Is there a rhyme or reason? Or not at all? (#ABEAShelfie)
There is some vague reasoning! My top shelf is all time favorite classics (all genres all authors). Then there's a WWII book section, a CS Lewis section, a Ray Bradbury section, a (very small) kids book section, a Christianity section and then a bookshelf of this great set of books that my grandma got during the one year that she was a teacher that she gave to me.

What book are you most excited for on your TBR? What are you most intimidated by? I just put on the new Lucy Knisley book so that is exciting! A book that I really want to read but am intimidated by it's large size is Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. One of these days I'll buck up and read it!

What is the most interesting thing that you have learned through your reading this year so far? I got an early copy of Mary Roach's latest "Grunt" off of Netgalley and learned SO much. Things like: penis reconstruction surgery for men injured by explosives in battle zones, and why snipers can't have zippers on their uniforms, and why hearing loss is harder than the loss of a limb for some people...A wealth of information, as with most Mary Roach books.


I'm so ready for Armchair BEA, are you?!




via GIPHY

7 comments:

  1. I like how you have arranged your bookshelves.

    You will love the BEA...maybe next year.

    Have fun this week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My BEA ARMCHAIR POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the best part would be meeting all of the other book bloggers, but all the free books wouldn't hurt either....

      Delete
  2. I reread Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and loved it so much (again)! It's a little slow to start, but so wonderful. I hope you enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like everyone who reads it really likes it! It's just sooo many pages, but I will get to it!

      Delete
  3. That GIF, though.

    Enjoy the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell for ages. I have Grunt on hold at the library, so good to know that you enjoyed it. Have a great ABEA!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I'd love to talk books with you!